Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Comings and Goings


    The past few weeks have provided many opportunities to immerse myself in the daily events of life in Burkina Faso. Spending time in Bobo with the Matheny Family has given me a chance to concentrate on learning French. I am so grateful for their warm hospitality while Ruth is in The USA.
Each morning, Philip and I study for two hours with Paul, our language helper. Not only are we gaining knowledge of the language but we are also learning many things about African culture. At times , I feel I have made great strides and yet I am aware that there is so much more to learn. Looks like I’ll have to stay here a very long time!

Here are just a few of the other experiences I have had lately. We spent a week in Yako recently. I was so pleased to be with Barka and Alexis, our two sponsored children from St. Agnes Academy. I arrived just in time to deliver birthday greetings from the students in Dalton. Taking Barka and Alexis shopping for fabric to make new outfits for each of them was great fun. Pauline, the seamstress at Sheltering Wings, will make their new clothes. They could not hold back their smiles when given these gifts.
 The highlight of each day was spending time with the babies and toddlers.


We also participated in a small distribution of TOM’S shoes in a nearby village. The students were delighted with the donation of new footwear. I was delighted to meet Sr. Solange, a Sister of the Immaculate Conception of Mary.
 
Another day we traveled along with the nurses to a medical clinic held regularly in Doure. Mothers were grateful to have their children examined and given the appropriate medicine.

And what would time in Burkina Faso be like without sharing a meal of TÔ with gumbo sauce, a favorite African meal?

I am grateful for each day spent with these beautiful people. Even the ones reaching 109+ degrees with frequent power cuts!




No comments:

Post a Comment